are several Certificate Programs available. These programs are non-sectarian/non-denominational and are provided to enhance an individual's knowledge and skills to
effectively meet requirements in a wide range of careers. While these courses
provide specialized training in specific areas, credit hours can be applied to
certain degree programs. Details are provided in the degree program sections as well as the
section related specifically to certificate programs in the Center for Religious and Spiritual Studies
Certain courses within a certificate program can be taken for credit without working toward the certificate. This is done on a "case by case" basis. Special approval is needed and encouraged.
Some of the listed certificate programs are administered through an oversight provider. This provider has been recognized by several national organizations. These include: The American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation which has approved the organization as a provider of continuing education; the California Board of Registered Nursing for the stated number of contact hours of each certificate; and others.The certificate courses also meet the qualifications for the stated hours
of continuing education credit for MFT's and/or LCSW's as required by the
California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Touro Institute provided certificate programs are so noted.
Included in the certificate programs are:
- Six Sigma - The term "Six Sigma" is derived from a field of statistics known as process capability studies. Six Sigma asserts that: Continuous efforts to achieve stable and predictable process results (i.e. reduce process variation) are of vital importance to the sucess of business and not-for-profit organizations. The processes of these entities have characteristics that can be measured, analyzed, improved and controlled. This program is available through Touro Institute.
- Spirituality, Health, and Healing - The Spirituality, Health, and Healing certificate
program offers a multidisciplinary educational experience. The certificate
in Spirituality, Health, and Healing will distinguish an individual as a
knowledgeable, skilled, and committed professional. This program is available through
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) - operates on the belief that our meridian system, the same
energy system that acupuncture addresses, houses our problematic emotions and negative
beliefs. A disturbance in this system is the root of many psychological and emotional
problems. ETR helps to address the energetic disturbance helps alleviate many emotional
and physical problems by using a unique energy balancing technique.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine - Today's health care system is changing in its approach to the health and care of its patient population which is culturally and ethnically diverse. Aspects from various alternative areas including religion and spirituality are being brought to the health care scene. In the United States an increasing public awareness of major risk factors contributing to chronic illness is recognized in its aging population. There is a growing desire, from this population, for alternative health care options. This is driving an expanding interest in complementary and
alternative medicine (CAM) within the health care industry. There is a rapid growth in popularity of CAM and it is currently used by more than 40% of the U.S. population. This program is in work and should be available shortly from Touro Institute.
- Ethics - Ethics has lately been very prominent in the news. We have seen heads of corporations and even their companies toppled, politicians scorned, and people serving prison time all due to the lack of ethics within our society. Touro Institute is very concerned about the current trend in our society and the seemingly lack of public interest when someone is accused of ethical violations. To this end we are developing a certificate program in ethics to train individuals in how to improve the ethics structures within a company, a family, an individual, or society in general. This program is in work and should be available shortly from Touro Institute.
- Peace Studies - This certificate program is being structured to to provide a short course which will provide individuals the knowledge to help create a more peaceful and just community, nation, and world. It is geared for those who have an interest in the spiritual nature of their immediate contact areas: family, home, schools, religious institutions and community in general. This program is in work and should be available shortly from Touro Institute.
- The Certificate in Gerontology provides a for a specialization within
gerontology. It is will enhance the knowledge and skills of those who
care for older adults. This certificate provides an educational
experience which is multidisciplinary and brings in aspects from religious and spiritual areas.
- End-of-Life Care
- The Certificate in End-of-Life Care represents a specialization in the
field of caring for those who are experiencing a terminal illness. It is
designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of individuals who work with,
minister to, or comfort those who are dying by providing a multidisciplinary educational experience which considers the patient's religious and spiritual needs.
- Various - a variety of certificate programs can be found here.